The Houston Area Digital Archives is pleased to present Reflections of Texas: A GIS Showcase, a GIS (geographical information system) map featuring digital archival items from across Texas. The physical addresses in the title allow for each item to be geocoded and added as a point on the map.
How to use the map
1. Click the + (plus sign) button at the bottom right corner of the map to zoom in on the markers clustered around a city or area of the map. Click the - (minus sign) button to zoom back out.
2. Use the hand cursor to click and drag the map as needed.
3. Click on a map marker to see the landmark at that location and its address.
4. Click "view item info" to access a link to the full-size image and complete metadata.
5. Access terrain and sattelite views by clicking on Map or Satellite at the upper left corner of the map.
Some of the items on the map have also been added to the Houston Area Digital Archives profile on Historypin.org, a website with additional exciting GIS capabilities.